This recipe is not for all stains on all types of carpets. For the stains that will not lift, I scrub them with an eco-friendly soap like Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds and a toothbrush. My rugs are wool so the soap and toothbrugh always get the stains out and then I follow up with the carpet freshener.
This recipe makes enough for a giant area rug, you can cut in half if needed or store the rest for a later date. I made a shaker top for a mason jar by punching holes in it with a nail.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 40 drops essential oil (I use lavender)
- glass jar with shaker top (as seen above)
- measuring cup
- Combine baking soda and oil in jar. Stir with a spoon until the oil is fully combined and then put the lid on.
- Shake on area rugs then leave for 1 hour.
- Sweep up baking soda with vacuum.
- Repeat when necessary.